This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!
Strawberry Jam – All natural, 3-ingredients, super easy, finger-licking homemade Strawberry Jam recipe. No pectin, no gelatin or cornstarch, no preservatives, no artificial food color, no need for any candy thermometer. Better than any store bought jam!!
HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY JAM
Amazingly easy, fail proof recipe for making homemade Strawberry Jam with just 3 ingredients.
Yes, all you need to make this lip-smacking strawberry jam is fresh strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. And you have the freshest, strawberry jam which is way better than any store bought.
With absolutely no preservatives or added artificial food coloring, this strawberry jam is the best strawberry jam you would have ever tasted.
Perfect balance of sweetness, right texture and best part is you know whats in the making. Try this no fail recipe for strawberry jam and I bet you will never buy store bought jam again!!
Absolutely love this time of the year, when nature is at its full bloom – Spring time😍 From cherry blossoms to tulips to daffodils and these delicious strawberries growing right in my backyard. Its a perfect time to make some homemade Strawberry Jam when you see strawberries in abundance.
Growing up in India, I remember my grandma use to make lots of jams and pickles for the whole year. Some of my favorite were Tomato Chutney, blend of sweet and tangy tomato chutney, made with fresh tomatoes. Mango pickle- lip smacking, taste tantalizing mango pickle which would last us whole year round.
To be honest I am not a big fan of store bought jams, I always feel its overly sweet for my taste and secondly comes with unwanted preservatives.
I love making my own jams and pickle. The fact that you have control over your ingredients. You can add as much or as little of a ingredients and totally customize it as per your taste. How cool it is? 🙌
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM
This is by far the most simplest recipe of making a jam. With just 3 ingredients you can make amazingly, delicious strawberry jam right in your very own kitchen.
Making all natural, purest as it gets, homemade strawberry jam with fresh strawberries, picked up right from my backyard, freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar.
RECIPE VIDEO – HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT STRAWBERRY JAM
Sharing my recipe for making this incredibly easy Strawberry jam. Once you have picked the fresh, good quality strawberries. Hull the strawberries – mean thoroughly wash and remove the green part from the strawberries.
Macerate or marinate the strawberries, with sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well, make sure all the strawberries are nicely coated with sugar. Cover and let it sit on the counter for at least an hour. This helps soften the strawberries and release its own juices.
After an hour, transfer the marinated strawberries along with all the juices into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Close the instant pot with vent on sealing position. Cook on manual/pressure cook mode (high) for 2 minutes.
Let pressure release naturally, around 10 minutes. Open the instant pot, turn on saute mode (high), bring the mixture to a boil.
After 5 minutes of cooking, using a potato masher, mash the strawberries to a desired consistency. Continue to cook the mixture, stirring continuously, to prevent any sugar sticking to the bottom of the pot.
It will take around 20-25 minutes for the mixture to thicken. Eventually the foam will settle down and mixture will be quite thick, like a jam consistency.
At this point do a plate test. Take a frozen cold plate and drop a spoonful of jam. Now run your finger through it and slightly tilt the plate on the side. If the jam slides slowly and there is no water running, means your jam is cooked right.
Wait for the jam to cool down a little before you start bottling the jam. While the jam is still slightly warm, transfer the jam into a sterilized glass jar. Store the jam into refrigerator. Enjoy!
Checkout the detailed recipe video. Do like and share our video and subscribe to our youtube channel for more such fantastic, lip-smacking recipes. Happy cooking!!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR STOVE TOP STRAWBERRY JAM
Use a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot for cooking strawberry jam on a stove top.
Follow the same recipe as discussed earlier. In a heavy bottom pot, add the macerated strawberries, along with its juices.
Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook. After 5 minutes, using a potato masher, carefully mash the strawberries to a desired consistency. Rest of the steps remain the same as Instant Pot.
Adjust the heat, to prevent any spilling or sticking of jam to the bottom of the pot.
TIPS FOR THE BEST STRAWBERRY JAM
Its important to use fresh, high quality ingredients when making jams, jellies or preserves because you want the preserved product to be nice and fresh as well.
It is important that the strawberries are good quality, the size does not matter. You can use smaller variety of strawberries but of good quality.
I prefer red ripe strawberries for this recipe. The sweeter the strawberries the less sugar is required in making of a jam. Also it gives nice intense fiery red color to the jam.
Store bought jams have added color, making it at home we are keeping it absolutely natural, in its purest form. Picking red ripe strawberries help achieve this nice intense fiery red color without any added color.
Hull the strawberries means thoroughly wash and remove the green part from the strawberry.
Macerating the strawberries means marinating the strawberries in sugar and lemon juice. This helps soften and flavor the strawberries.
Keep the marinated strawberries for at least an hour. This helps strawberries release its own juices and so no need to add any extra water while making jam.
Make sure almost all the moisture has evaporated from the jam and a nice glaze forms on the top of the jam. This means sugar is cooked properly. The color of the jam changes too from pale to dark in color as the sugar gets cooked.
The consistency of a jam is thick.
I prefer mashing the strawberries with a potato masher, this gives a nice, mix balance of texture, which is what you are looking for in a jam. You can totally use hand blender, if you prefer so.
Its important to stir the jam continuously to prevent the sugar from sticking to the bottom of the pot. If sugar sticks to the bottom of the pot, it will start to caramelize, resulting in undesirable end product.
I cook this on medium-high heat, regularly stirring, until jam reaches its desired consistency. This takes somewhere around 20-25 mins, depending upon the moisture in the strawberries.
Jam thickens once it cools down and also upon refrigeration.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THE JAM IS DONE
When the jam is ready, the foam on the top of the jam will eventually settle down. You will not see any foam build up when you stir once the jam is done.
The sound changes as the jam is cooked from rolling boil sound to more dense, thick sound.
I prefer the plate test, it works for me like a charm. Take a frozen cold plate and drop a spoonful of jam. Now run your finger through it and slightly tilt the plate on the side. If the jam slides slowly and there is no water running, means your jam is cooked right.
Alternatively you can also use candy thermometer. Boil the jam until the temperature reaches 105C or 220F. This is an ideal temperature for jams.
HOW TO SERVE STRAWBERRY JAM
Enjoy this lip-smacking strawberry jam with your favorite food. Sharing some of my favorite ways to enjoy this delicious jam.
I love strawberry jam on a piece of toast, biscuit, or even bagel
As a topping on pancakes, waffles
Spread some jam on some paratha, poori
As a filling in donuts, puffs
Add a layer of strawberry jam to the cake, pastries
Makes a great compote
Flavor your yogurt with strawberry jam
HOW TO STORE STRAWBERRY JAM
Strawberry jam stays fresh for up to 3 months in the refrigerator.
Store the jam in a sterilized glass jar. Do not pour the mixture in the jar while its hot to prevent uneven consistency. Let the jam cool down a little and then transfer it into a sterilized jar.
If canning the jam, follow the instructions that came with your canning jars.
I personally do not prefer to freeze the jam. I normally make a smaller batch, so we can enjoy fresh jam.
Here are some more recipes for you to enjoy!!
Dal Makhani – creamy, flavorful, dal made with black gram lentils, kidney beans
Sarson Da Saag – mustard greens tempered with onion, garlic and some Indian spices
Homemade Ghee –rich nutty flavor, nourishing and aromatic, homemade ghee
Bharwa Bhindi – okra stuffed with some Indian spices
Aloo Gobi – simple, easy, delicious Potato Cauliflower curry
Carrot Halwa, quick and easy carrot halwa.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup – thick, creamy soup made with broccoli, cheddar cheese
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for easy and delicious video recipes. Happy Cooking!!
Strawberry Jam - Just 3 Ingredients (no pectin)
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1-1/4 cup sugar, as per taste
- 1/2 lemon / 1 TBSP lemon juice
Before you start making jam:
- Place a plate in a freezer to be used later for plate test.
Macerate / Marinate Strawberries:
- In a mixing bowl, add hulled and quartered strawberries.
- Add sugar and juice of half a lemon.
- Mix well, cover and let it rest for about an hour.
- Note: Make sure all the strawberries are completely covered into the sugar. Macerating the strawberries helps release its juices and also adds flavor.
Instructions for Instant Pot:
- In the inner pot of Instant Pot add macerated strawberries, along with its juices.
- Turn on Instant Pot on manual/pressure cook mode (high), 2 minutes. Close the lid, vent sealed. Let pressure release naturally, around 10 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot lid. Turn on saute mode (high), continue to cook. After 5 minutes of cooking, using a potato masher carefully mash the strawberries to a desired consistency.Note: You can also use hand blender to blend the strawberries to a desired consistency.
- Continue to cook until you start seeing a nice glaze form on top of the jam and almost all the moisture has evaporated.Note: Nice glaze is formed when the sugar has cooked completely. Also you will notice a change in color, the jam turns darker in color. The consistency will be quite thick.
- Stir continuously to prevent any sticking to the bottom. It takes around 20-25 minutes for jam to get cooked.Note: Depending upon the moisture in the strawberries, the cooking time will vary.
- Do a plate test. Take a frozen cold plate, drop a spoonful of jam on it. Now run your finger through it. Slightly tilt the plate on the side, if the jam slides slowly and there is no water running, your jam is cooked. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Let jam cool down a little, keep it warmer, then transfer this into a sterilized glass jar.Note: Do not pour the mixture in the jar while its hot to prevent any uneven consistency. Let the jam cool down a little and then transfer it into a sterilized jar.
- Enjoy this homemade, finger-licking jam with your favorite food 😋
- Depending upon how sweet the strawberries are you can increase or decrease the quantity of sugar.
- Tips For Best Strawberry Jam - checkout the discussion earlier in the post.
- How to store and freeze Strawberry Jam?-checkout the discussion earlier in the post.
- For stove top cooking, on a high heat, in a heavy bottom pot, add macerated strawberries, along with its juices. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook. After 5 mins of cooking, using a potato masher carefully mash the strawberries to a desired consistency. Rest of the steps remain the same as Instant Pot. Note: Use a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot for cooking strawberry jam on a stove top.
- For stove top cooking adjust the heat, to prevent any spilling or sticking of jam to the bottom of the pot.
- Can I use frozen berries instead? - Yes you can! Follow the same recipe.
- Can I use any other variety of berries? - Absolutely