This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!
Strawberry Jam – All natural, 3-ingredients, super easy, finger-licking homemade Strawberry Jam recipe. No pectin, no gelatin or cornstarch, no preservatives, no artificial food color, no need for any candy thermometer. Better than any store bought jam!!
HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY JAM
Amazingly easy, fail proof recipe for making homemade Strawberry Jam with just 3 ingredients.
Yes, all you need to make this lip-smacking strawberry jam is fresh strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. And you have the freshest, strawberry jam which is way better than any store bought.
With absolutely no preservatives or added artificial food coloring, this strawberry jam is the best strawberry jam you would have ever tasted.
Perfect balance of sweetness, right texture and best part is you know whats in the making. Try this no fail recipe for strawberry jam and I bet you will never buy store bought jam again!!
Absolutely love this time of the year, when nature is at its full bloom – Spring time? From cherry blossoms to tulips to daffodils and these delicious strawberries growing right in my backyard. Its a perfect time to make some homemade Strawberry Jam when you see strawberries in abundance.
Growing up in India, I remember my grandma use to make lots of jams and pickles for the whole year. Some of my favorite were Tomato Chutney, blend of sweet and tangy tomato chutney, made with fresh tomatoes. Mango pickle- lip smacking, taste tantalizing mango pickle which would last us whole year round.
To be honest I am not a big fan of store bought jams, I always feel its overly sweet for my taste and secondly comes with unwanted preservatives.
I love making my own jams and pickle. The fact that you have control over your ingredients. You can add as much or as little of a ingredients and totally customize it as per your taste. How cool it is? ?
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM
This is by far the most simplest recipe of making a jam. With just 3 ingredients you can make amazingly, delicious strawberry jam right in your very own kitchen.
Making all natural, purest as it gets, homemade strawberry jam with fresh strawberries, picked up right from my backyard, freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar.
RECIPE VIDEO – HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT STRAWBERRY JAM
Sharing my recipe for making this incredibly easy Strawberry jam. Once you have picked the fresh, good quality strawberries.
Hull the strawberries – mean thoroughly wash and remove the green part from the strawberries.
Add the hulled strawberries to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Macerate or marinate the strawberries, with sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well, make sure all the strawberries are nicely coated with sugar. Cover and let it sit for at least an hour. This helps soften the strawberries and release its own juices.
After an hour, close the instant pot with vent on sealing position. Cook on manual/pressure cook mode (high) for 2 minutes.
Let pressure release naturally, around 10 minutes. Open the instant pot, using a potato masher, mash the strawberries to a desired consistency.
Turn on saute mode (high), bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to cook the mixture, stirring continuously, to prevent any sugar sticking to the bottom of the pot.
It will take around 20-25 minutes for the mixture to thicken. Eventually the foam will settle down and mixture will be quite thick, like a jam consistency.
At this point do a plate test. Take a frozen cold plate and drop a spoonful of jam. Now run your finger through it and slightly tilt the plate on the side. If the jam slides slowly and there is no water running, means your jam is cooked right.
Pic Shown: Strawberry Jam Plate Test
Wait for the jam to cool down a little before you start bottling the jam. While the jam is still slightly warm, transfer the jam into a sterilized glass jar. Store the jam into refrigerator. Enjoy!
Checkout the detailed recipe video. Do like and share our video and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more such fantastic, lip-smacking recipes. Happy cooking!!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR STOVE TOP STRAWBERRY JAM
Use a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot for cooking strawberry jam on a stove top.
Follow the same recipe as discussed earlier. In a heavy bottom pot, add the macerated strawberries, along with its juices.
Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook. After 5 minutes, using a potato masher, carefully mash the strawberries to a desired consistency. Rest of the steps remain the same as Instant Pot.
Adjust the heat, to prevent any spilling or sticking of jam to the bottom of the pot.
TIPS FOR THE BEST STRAWBERRY JAM
Its important to use fresh, high quality ingredients when making jams, jellies or preserves because you want the preserved product to be nice and fresh as well.
It is important that the strawberries are good quality, the size does not matter. You can use smaller variety of strawberries but of good quality.
I prefer red ripe strawberries for this recipe. The sweeter the strawberries the less sugar is required in making of a jam. Also it gives nice intense fiery red color to the jam.
Store bought jams have added color, making it at home we are keeping it absolutely natural, in its purest form. Picking red ripe strawberries help achieve this nice intense fiery red color without any added color.
Hull the strawberries means thoroughly wash and remove the green part from the strawberry.
Macerating the strawberries means marinating the strawberries in sugar and lemon juice. This helps soften and flavor the strawberries.
Keep the marinated strawberries for at least an hour. This helps strawberries release its own juices and so no need to add any extra water while making jam.
Make sure almost all the moisture has evaporated from the jam and a nice glaze forms on the top of the jam. This means sugar is cooked properly. The color of the jam changes too from pale to dark in color as the sugar gets cooked.
The consistency of a jam is thick.
I prefer mashing the strawberries with a potato masher, this gives a nice, mix balance of texture, which is what you are looking for in a jam. You can totally use hand blender, if you prefer so.
Its important to stir the jam continuously to prevent the sugar from sticking to the bottom of the pot. If sugar sticks to the bottom of the pot, it will start to caramelize, resulting in undesirable end product.
I cook this on medium-high heat, regularly stirring, until jam reaches its desired consistency. This takes somewhere around 20-25 mins, depending upon the moisture in the strawberries.
Jam thickens once it cools down and also upon refrigeration.
FAQ ABOUT STRAWBERRY JAM
CAN I REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF SUGAR
Yes, you can reduce the sugar, depending upon your taste.
Also, depending upon how sweet the berries are you can adjust the quantity of sugar.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER
Sorry, I have not tried this recipe with artificial sweetener.
CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE
Yes, absolutely, you can double or even triple the recipe depending upon the size of Instant Pot.
Make sure NOT to fill the inner pot of the Instant pot more than tw0-thirds of it’s size.
If you double the recipe, I would recommend using SAUTE mode and skip the pressure cooking. Since the quantity is large, it takes longer for the pressure cooker to come to pressure, and as a result the fruit turns dark and looses its vibrant color.
CAN I USE HONEY TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM
Yes, you can substitute honey instead of sugar for making this strawberry jam.
Add the honey after pressure cooking the strawberries.
Depending upon how sweet the berries are and how sweet you like your jam, you can add honey. Start with 1/4 cup of honey and add as needed.
The cooking process will remain the same. Reduce the berries, to a thick jam like consistency.
DO I NEED PECTIN TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM
This strawberry jam recipe does not require any Pectin or any artificial agent to set the jam.
This jam is made with just the 3 basic ingredients – Strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.
Pectin is a natural fiber found in fruits and vegetables including strawberries and lemon. Lemons are high in pectin and when combined with sugar, form a gel like consistency. Thus, lemon juice not only helps to balance the sweetness but it also helps to set the jam.
CAN I USE A THICKENING AGENT TO REDUCE THE COOK TIME
PECTIN – Artificial pectin may be a added to reduce the cooking time, resulting in a fresher fruit flavor jam.
CHIA SEEDS – These tiny little seeds add a nutritional value while naturally thickening this strawberry jam. A great way to consume these flavor bursting seeds in a form of a jam.
Once the strawberries have been pressure cooked. Mash the berries to a desired consistency.
Then sprinkle around 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, and give them a good stir until well combined. The jam will start to thicken, as it cools down, this also gives chia seeds to soak up all the juices and plump up.
CORNSTARCH – Make a cornstarch slurry using 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Once the strawberries are pressure cooked, mash the berries to a desired consistency.
On a saute mode, bring the mixture to a boil. Gradually, add cornstarch slurry, make sure to mix it well to avoid any lumps in the jam. Cook for few minutes or until the jam starts to thicken.
CAN I USE FROZEN STRAWBERRIES
Macerate the frozen strawberries for 2-3 hours or until juices run clear.
Alternatively, you can thaw the berries overnight in the refrigerator to fasten the macerating process.
Follow the same recipe as discussed earlier for making the strawberry jam.
CAN I USE ANY OTHER FRUIT
This recipe works with almost any juicy fruit – Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, cranberries, mango, pineapple, kiwi, peaches, apricots, even a mix of berries or mixed fruit jam.
I like mixed fruit jam and make it quite often, use any juicy fruits and follow the same recipe to make homemade mixed fruit jam.
Feel free to customize this recipe with your favorite fruits and seasonings.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THE JAM IS DONE
When the jam is ready, the foam on the top of the jam will eventually settle down. You will not see any foam build up when you stir once the jam is done.
The sound changes as the jam is cooked from rolling boil sound to more dense, thick sound.
I prefer the plate test, it works for me like a charm. Take a frozen cold plate and drop a spoonful of jam. Now run your finger through it and slightly tilt the plate on the side. If the jam slides slowly and there is no water running, means your jam is cooked right.
Alternatively you can also use candy thermometer. Boil the jam until the temperature reaches 105 degrees Centigrade or 220 degrees Fahrenheit. This is an ideal temperature for jams.
HOW TO SERVE STRAWBERRY JAM
Enjoy this lip-smacking strawberry jam with your favorite food. Sharing some of my favorite ways to enjoy this delicious jam.
I love strawberry jam on a piece of toast, biscuit, or even bagel
As a topping on pancakes, waffles
Spread some jam on some paratha, poori
As a filling in donuts, puffs
Add a layer of strawberry jam to the cake, pastries
Makes a great compote
Flavor your yogurt with strawberry jam
HOW TO STORE AND PRESERVE STRAWBERRY JAM
Strawberry jam stays fresh for up to 3 months in the refrigerator.
Store the jam in a sterilized glass jar. Do not pour the mixture in the jar while its hot to prevent uneven consistency. Let the jam cool down a little and then transfer it into a sterilized jar.
If canning the jam, follow the instructions that came with your canning jars.
I personally do not prefer to freeze the jam. I normally make a smaller batch, so we can enjoy fresh jam.
Here are some more recipes for you to enjoy!!
No fry Sabudana Vada – Instant pot, air fryer, oven baked
Chakli Murukku– Instant pot, air fryer, oven baked
Dal Makhani – creamy, flavorful, dal made with black gram lentils, kidney beans
Sarson Da Saag – mustard greens tempered with onion, garlic and some Indian spices
Homemade Ghee –rich nutty flavor, nourishing and aromatic, homemade ghee
Bharwa Bhindi – okra stuffed with some Indian spices
Aloo Gobi – simple, easy, delicious Potato Cauliflower curry
Carrot Halwa, quick and easy carrot halwa.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup – thick, creamy soup made with broccoli, cheddar cheese
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for easy and delicious video recipes. Happy Cooking!!
Strawberry Jam - Just 3 Ingredients (no pectin)
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup sugar, as per taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
BEFORE YOU START MAKING JAM
- Place a plate in a freezer to be used later for plate test.
MACERATE / MARINATE STRAWBERRIES
- Hull the strawberries – thoroughly wash and remove the green part from the strawberries.
- Add the hulled strawberries to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Add sugar and lemon juice. Mix well. Cover and let it sit for at least an hour. Note: Make sure all the strawberries are completely covered into the sugar. Macerating the strawberries helps release its juices.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTANT POT
- After an hour, close the instant pot with vent on sealing position. Cook on manual/pressure cook mode (high) for 2 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally, around 10 minutes. Open the instant pot, using a potato masher, mash the strawberries to a desired consistency. Note: You can also use hand blender to blend the strawberries to a desired consistency.
- Turn on saute mode (high), bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to cook until you start seeing a nice glaze form on top of the jam and almost all the moisture has evaporated.Note: Nice glaze is formed when the sugar has cooked completely. Also you will notice a change in color, the jam turns darker in color. The consistency will be quite thick.
- Stir continuously to prevent any sticking to the bottom. It takes around 20-25 minutes for jam to get cooked.Note: Depending upon the moisture in the strawberries, the cooking time will vary.
- Do a plate test. Take a frozen cold plate, drop a spoonful of jam on it. Now run your finger through it. Slightly tilt the plate on the side, if the jam slides slowly and there is no water running, your jam is cooked. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Let jam cool down a little, keep it warmer, then transfer this into a sterilized glass jar.Note: Do not pour the mixture in the jar while its hot to prevent any uneven consistency. Let the jam cool down a little and then transfer it into a sterilized jar.
- Enjoy this homemade, finger-licking jam!
- Depending upon how sweet the strawberries are you can increase or decrease the quantity of sugar.
- CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE Yes, absolutely, you can double or even triple the recipe depending upon the size of the Instant Pot. Make sure NOT to fill the inner pot of the Instant pot more than tw0-thirds of it's size. If you double the recipe, I would recommend using SAUTE mode and skip the pressure cooking. Since the quantity is large, it takes longer for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, and as a result the fruit turns dark and looses its vibrant color.
- TIPS FOR THE BEST STRAWBERRY JAM - please refer to the post earlier.
- FAQ ABOUT STRAWBERRY JAM - please refer to the post earlier.
- FOR STOVE TOP COOKING - on a high heat, in a heavy bottom pot, add macerated strawberries, along with its juices. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook. After 5 mins of cooking, using a potato masher carefully mash the strawberries to a desired consistency. Rest of the steps remain the same as Instant Pot. Note: Use a Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot for cooking strawberry jam on a stove top.
- For stove top cooking adjust the heat, to prevent any spilling or sticking of jam to the bottom of the pot.