This Fried Eggplant/Tariyal Vangan/Fried Baingan is a very popular recipe from Sindhi Cuisine. This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, easy to make and is served as a side dish.
In Sindhi, “Tariyal” means “Fried” and “Vangan” means “Eggplant”. Tariyal Vangan or Fried Eggplant is typically a Sindhi recipe, where eggplant is fried until crispy, sprinkled with some Indian spices on the top and served as a side dish.
Preparing the Tariyal Vangan or Fried Eggplant is very easy. Any variety of eggplant may be used for this recipe. But I like to use the globe eggplant or also known as American Eggplant, since it has more flesh and less seeds. You can also use Indian eggplant, or Japanese eggplant would work just fine in this recipe. Eggplant is cut into round disc and fried until crispy. These fried eggplant make a great side dish.
I like to serve these Fried Eggplant/Tariyal Vangan with some Tidali Dal/Three Lentils and with some roti or dodas (Sindhi flatbread made using sorghum flour). Enjoy this simple and authentic Sindhi Tariyal Vangan/Fried Eggplant recipe.
Tariyal Vangan / Fried Baingan/Fried Eggplant
- 1 medium size globe eggplant
- 1/2 TBSP coriander powder
- 1 TSP red chili powder
- 1 TSP dry mango powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Handful of fresh cilantro
Instructions for Stove Top Cooking:
- Cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch disc. Make some slits, sprinkle some salt and keep it aside for 10 min. After 10 min, rinse and pat dry the eggplant pieces with some paper towel.
- Heat oil in a kadai/wok. Fry few pieces of eggplant on a medium to high heat, until crispy on both the sides, around 2-3 min. Remove the fried pieces on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Mix all the dry spices, sprinkle this spice mixture over the fried eggplant. Serve hot.