This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!
Hyderabadi Dahi Ki Kadhi is a very popular dish from Hyderabad, India. It’s a yogurt based thick, soupy consistency curry with chickpeas flour fritters or pakoras, seasoned with some aromatic Indian spices and served over steamed rice. A great comfort food for a cold, wintry night.
Kadhi or karhi is a very famous dish from India. There are many variations of kadhi, depending upon different regions of India. Gujarati Kadhi is a very popular kadhi recipe from the region of Gujrat. Its a sweet and tangy kadhi, seasoned with cloves. Sprouted green moong kadhi, a very healthy and a unique preparation of kadhi using moong sprouts, Rajasthani, Sindhi kadhi, Punjabi Kadhi and Hyderabadi Kadhi.
WHAT IS HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
Hyderabadi dahi ki kadhi is a perfect comfort food for wintry cold days. Thick and soupy yogurt based kadhi, is made with diluted yogurt and besan or chickpeas flour. The soul of this kadhi is lots of garlic, apart from adding flavor to this dish, garlic is also beneficial for health, especially during the winter months.
In addition to garlic, fresh cilantro is also added to enhance the flavors of this kadhi. Cooked with some aromatic Indian spices such as turmeric powder, red chili powder, and is simmered until the sauce is thickened and all the flavors are absorbed into the kadhi.
Once the sauce is cooked, besan or chickpeas flour pakoda or fritters are added into the curry. These pakoda or fritters add nice depth to this flavorful kadhi. Finally, tempering with some whole spices is added to the kadhi, thus making it a complete and comforting meal.
Hyderabadi dahi ki kadhi is typically served over white steamed rice. It’s one of the classic recipe from Hyderabadi cuisine – Hyderabadi Dahi Ki Kadhi!!
HOW TO MAKE HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
Traditionally, kadhi is made on a stove top in a heavy bottom pot, simmered for quite sometime to bring out all the flavors. This is like a chili recipe, it tastes better when simmered for long. The kadhi has a nice tangy flavor which comes from the sourness of the yogurt.
Today, I am sharing my recipe for Hyderabadi dahi ki kadhi or yogurt kadhi. Pakoda or fritters are made with besan or chickpeas flour and are later added to the kadhi. I love to cook kadhi in Instant Pot, its so much quicker, then making it in a traditional way, without compromising on taste or flavors. Every time I make this Hyderabadi dahi ki kadhi in Instant Pot, it’s always consistent, in texture, taste and flavors.
HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI IN INSTANT POT
Instant pot Hyderabadi dahi ki kadhi is a very quick and a easy way of cooking this kadhi. It tastes amazing. Making kadhi consists of two parts – firstly making the base of the kadhi, yogurt sauce which is cooked in Instant Pot. Secondly, fritters or pakoras, which are fried on a stove top. Here’s is easy step by step method of making Hyderabadi dahi ki kadhi in Instant Pot.
PART A – INSTANT POT HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
STEP 1: Prepare a fine paste, using garlic, ginger, green chili, fresh cilantro, curry leaves, turmeric, coriander powder, salt. Keep it aside.
STEP 2: In a mixing bowl, mix yogurt, chickpeas flour, paste and water, into a smooth mixture. Keep it aside.
STEP 3: Turn on Instant Pot on a saute mode(high), add oil, when oil is hot, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, crushed coriander seeds, saute for 1-2 minutes.
STEP 4: Now add the yogurt mixture, mix well. Close the Instant Pot, vent sealed. Manual / pressure cook mode (high) for 6 minutes. Followed by natural pressure release, around 10 minutes.
STEP 5: Open the instant pot, turn on saute mode(high), bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Stir in-between to prevent kadhi from sticking to the bottom.
STEP 6: Turn off instant pot. Add the pakoras.
STEP 7: Prepare the tempering, on a stove top, in a sauce pan, add oil, cumin seeds, garlic, when the garlic turns slightly brown. Add whole red chili, few curry leaves, turn off the heat. Add red chili powder, pour the tempering over the kadhi.
STEP 8: Cover and let the pakoras soften and soak all the flavors from the kadhi. Around 10-15 minutes.
STEP 9: Garnish with some fresh cilantro. Serve hot with some steamed rice. Enjoy!!
PART B – HOW TO MAKE FRITTERS / PAKORAS
STEP 1: While kadhi is cooking in the Instant Pot, let’s prepare batter for the fritters/pakoras. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients listed under the fritters and make a smooth batter.
STEP 2: Take a kadai/wok. Cover 1/3 of the bottom of the kadai/wok with some oil. Heat the oil. Reduce the heat to medium, add a spoonful of the fritter batter, and fry until golden brown on both sides. Turn the fritters half way through for even cooking.
STEP 3: Repeat the process, for the rest of the batter. Keep the fritters aside.
RECIPE VIDEO – INSTANT POT HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
INSTRUCTIONS FOR STOVE TOP HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
TIPS FOR BEST HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
HOW MUCH GARLIC TO USE – The main flavor of this kadhi comes from garlic. I love to use lots of garlic in this recipe. I almost use one whole bulb of garlic. However, you can add garlic as per taste.
HOW MUCH FRESH CILANTRO TO USE – Cilantro gives a nice fresh flavor to this kadhi. Apart from flavor, cilantro also adds a nice greenish-yellow color to this kadhi. I use half a bunch or around 1 cup of fresh cilantro. If you like more, feel free to add more, it will taste and look great!!
The consistency of kadhi is soupy. Kadhi thickens over the period of time. Adjust the consistency by adding more water as per taste.
Pakoras or fritters add a nice depth to this kadhi. Pakoras are simply made with some chickpeas flour, some Indian spices and some ginger-garlic paste. Traditionally, onions are NOT added in this recipe. However, if you like onions, feel free to add.
HOW TO SERVE HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
Traditionally, Hyderabadi dahi ki kadhi is served hot with some Steamed white rice.
HOW TO STORE HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI
Kadhi stays good in refrigerator for 4-5 days. Kadhi tastes even better the next day ?
I personally do not like to freeze the kadhi. It turns grainy and just doesn’t taste good.
Here are some more kadhi recipes from blog. Enjoy!!
Some popular recipes on blog!
Dal Makhani – creamy, flavorful dal made with black gram lentils, kidney beans
Aloo Gobi – simple, easy, delicious Potato Cauliflower curry
Strawberry Jam – 3-ingredients, super easy, finger-licking homemade Strawberry Jam
Carrot Halwa , quick and easy carrot halwa.
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for easy and delicious video recipes. Happy Cooking!!
Hyderabadi Dahi Ki Kadhi / Yogurt Curry - Instant Pot, Stove Top
For kadhi paste:
For kadhi mixture:
- 2 cup thick plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup BESAN (chickpea flour)
- kadhi paste, as mentioned above
- 4-1/2 cup water
For First tempering:
For Second tempering:
- Handful of fresh cilantro
Instructions for Instant Pot Cooking:
- Make a fine paste using the ingredients listed under "kadhi paste". Keep it aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, chickpea flour, kadhi paste, water and make a smooth mixture. Keep it aside.
- Turn on Instant Pot to saute mode (high).
- When it displays "HOT", add oil, cumin seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, crushed coriander seeds, and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add yogurt mixture, mix well. Turn off Instant Pot. Close the IP lid, vent sealed.
- Turn on Manual/Pressure cook mode (high), "6" minutes. Cancel the warm mode.Note: Cook time "SIX" minutes ONLY!!
- Let pressure release naturally, around 10 minutes. Open the IP lid.
- Turn on saute mode (high).
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally to prevent any kadhi from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Turn off IP.
- Add chickpea flour fritters or pakoras. Mix gently.
- Prepare the tempering for kadhi. On a stove top, in a sauce pan, add oil, when oil is hot add cumin seeds, garlic, saute for 2-3 minutes or until garlic is slightly brown in color. Add whole red chili, curry leaves. Turn off the heat. Add red chili powder. Pour the tempering over the kadhi. Cover with lid and let the pakoras soak the flavors for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with some fresh cilantro and serve hot with some steamed white rice. Enjoy!!
Instructions for Pakora/Fritter Cooking:
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for kadhi pakoras/fritters using water as needed. Consistency of batter is semi-thick, more like pancake batter.
- Heat enough oil in a wok/kadai (deep fry or shallow fry). Add 2 TBSP of hot oil to the batter and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium, drop spoonful of batter. Fry for 3-4 minutes. Flip the fritters and fry on the other side for 3-4 minutes or until light brown in color. Fry the remaining fritters.
- Add the fritters to the kadhi.
- Adjust the consistency of the kadhi, thick or thin as per taste. Add some more water to make it thin.
- Use a heavy bottom pot when cooking on a stove top, to avoid any spills and sticking at the bottom. Yogurt mixture tends to froth and may overflow while cooking.
- If making kadhi in Instant pot, turn off instant pot after the manual/pressure cook is done. Do not let kadhi cook on warm mode. Kadhi may stick to the bottom.
- Garlic is used a lot in this kadhi. This is where the kadhi gets most of its flavor-garlicky. If you prefer less garlic, add less.
- TIPS FOR BEST HYDERABADI DAHI KI KADHI - please refer to the post earlier.
- How to serve and store- please refer to the post earlier.
- Instructions for Stove Top Cooking - please refer to the post earlier.